Sunday, October 25, 2015

Short Hairstyle

I've decided to take my husband's advice and cut my hair short before my first chemo appointment and donate my hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths (http://pantene.com/en-us/brandexperience/make-the-cut). A few friends are going to join me and assist in identifying a new style that will make me feel pretty but won't be so devastating when my hair starts falling out.  The more I've been reading women's stories and understanding the likeliness that I'll lose my hair the more concerned I am that chunks will start falling out with my current long hair and I'll kind of lose it aka wig out, LOL.

Luckily, I don't have any grey hair and it isn't dyed so it's perfect for donating and well over the required 8". The hair is used to make wigs for the American Cancer Society to help women as they lose hair to help them continue feeling beautiful. I am getting fitted for a wig on Friday but I won't be sure if I want one until the time comes.  I am so lucky to have friends who have offered to buy me a wig, offered resources of where to obtain a wig and those that have offered me wigs from other strong women that survived breast cancer.

I'm scheduled to cut my hair this coming Saturday, Halloween, and am excited and anxious with this new path of beauty.  I'm hoping that my eyebrows and eyelashes don't fall out, this isn't as common as the hair on your head loss, but it does happen to some women.  I don't wear makeup, if I lose my facial hair, I will have to learn makeup!!  I don't want to walk around without eyelashes and eyebrows, that just sounds awful. I'd be okay if I lose hair from stomach down, no more shaving, WOOHOO!! There are few advantages to BC, but this may be one of them.

I just spoke with my Mom on the phone, she's back in the Dallas area, and I miss her.  I wish she was here to help me and Chuck as we go through this journey.  She is so proud of my wonderful friends and glad that we have so much love over a thousand miles away to help us with support, driving, etc. It's always great talking to her, we are able to support each other and discuss our frustrations, concerns, wins and losses. I know that she misses me and knows that I love her, don't cry if you read this Mom!!

As another new week starts, I will be happy to almost be done with going to the hospital minus a few visits this week, and focus on starting chemo next week.  For those of you thinking, Randi it's just hair, it will grow back.... please know that I know this but it's just going to be awhile before that's relevant.

3 comments:

  1. No matter what style you choose you will be beautiful! ❤ hugs and as always I am just a phone call away if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through a scare when I was younger. I decided not to do the radiation (fingers crossed that doesn't come back and bite me in the butt)....but I remember crying my eyes out because they said I would probably lose my hair. It's weird because before that I didn't think it would be a big deal. But especially for a woman-it was a huge deal to me. So I know how you feel...we are still praying for you. Oh now I grow out my hair every few years and donate it to locks of love for little kids who need them-been doing it for 10 years. Can't wait for you to kick bc butt!!! You go girl. Take it slow and it's fine if you cry-totally normal. Btw I signed up for my acct when I was a teacher-so it says ms. Chang and I don't know how to change it.

    ReplyDelete