Monday, October 19, 2015

Genetics and removing body parts

Today I went with my BFF Beth to genetics testing. I expected them to swab my cheek and tell me what the results would mean and leave. I was surprised to find out the appointment would take 60-90 minutes.

When I arrived my counselor began explaining about genes and how some have been linked to cancers. She made a family tree and I quickly realized I wasn't prepared for this line of questioning. I was very lucky to be adopted by my Dad when he married my Mom so I have never met my biological sperm donor making half of my tree a question mark.

As we began discussing my mom's family I realized I have no idea how many cousins I have, if any of them have medical issues or if my aunts and uncles suffer from cancers or diseases. I have zero idea about my Mom's dads family and little to no info on her mom's family. To assist, I called my Mom for assistance. She answered the phone in a rush trying to feed her pack of fluffies and called me back. You learn real quick how much I am my Mom's daughter when she's on the phone saying a curse word while yelling at a dog or two and working to remember information.

She knew how many cousins I have, medical issues related to her siblings (down to the number of colon polyps her sisters have had) but it got iffy when we went further up the proverbial tree.... Babcia (Polish for grandmother) had uterine and colon cancer which eventually put her in a coma and her siblings all passed from colon cancer.

What age did these great aunts and uncles pass away, no idea; did they have any kids, no idea; is there anyone alive to ask, no idea. At this point the counselor realized we had colon and uterine cancer to discuss and to her surprise my cancer polyps and breast cancer.

There are multiple genes that I could be positive for, currently they are betting I have Lynch Syndrome or BRCA 1 or 2. If I am positive for any of the genes listed, it pretty much means I have more information to determine if I remove ovaries, my uterus, get a complete hysterectomy or remove both breasts. Since I've opted for chemo, these results really won't matter until next year.

In a nutshell, it was an interesting visit and the least invasive but not really helpful for me at this time. The visit does prompt me to recommend that others find out their family medical history's and to determine if my mom, sister and the rest of the family need to be tested for the same genes I may have.

I'll let y'all know which body parts may be leaving once I learn the results. For now, I'll continue hoping that the main parts that make me female remain a little longer.....

4 comments:

  1. Randi Arnett, you are AMAZING and I am praying for complete healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and you already know I am here. No matter what they take you will always be the strongest WOMAN i know :)

    ReplyDelete