Saturday, October 24, 2015

Chemo, wigs and ports

This week was another exciting adventure! I learned that I do not have cancer in my left breast or ovaries, uterus, etc. However, I did learn I need an MRI for my broken fibula, its not a torn meniscus as previously thought, and an MRI for my liver lesion (or pooling of blood or whatever is going on).

Our assumption is that neither is cancer related but cancer needs to be ruled out just in case. I will be starting chemo Nov 5th and will have injections the day after chemo for eight weeks then chemo every week for twelve weeks then an injection for the rest of the year.

How will I be receiving all of these fabulous chemicals?! Via a port installed in my chest, how fun does that sound?! At the same time I'll be losing my hair, sounds like nearly a guarantee, going through menopause, have flushed skin (to compliment my already red complexion), battling nausea and being more tired than usual. (Yes, that can really happen).

Insurance won't cover a wig but I'm still going for a fitting so I know my options. The many beautiful people who are donating to my Gofundme will be participating in funding my wig/scarf/hairpiece and I couldn't be more grateful. I currently have beautiful long brownish hair that I just throw into a clip/ponytail holder, but soon I'll have choices to color coordinate my head. That's a plus!!!!

My friends are amazing and waiting for our care calendar to become available so they can sign up for times to drive me to chemo, or getting my port installed or my haircut. I've decided that my husband is right, it will be easier to lose small amounts of hair compared to long chunks so pixie haircut here I come!!!

If you'd like to donate to help me when I have to take unpaid leave, like this past week, or cover items not covered by insurance I will be forever be grateful. This journey has many paths and I don't know which path I'm going down until it starts...

https://www.gofundme.com/4q6p7ucx

8 comments:

  1. Hey Randi. For me it was after the second cycle that my hair just came out in clumps. Then I had Carl just buzz it all off. Nice to have a wig ready to go when you need it. Get a couple of comfortable hats too. Wigs get old wearing all the time. Is the shot you are getting Neulasta? That's what got me. I also had a port. First day I felt like I had been shot. It was very uncomfortable first couple of months. Better now. My doc said to keep it in a couple of years just in case. It has to be flushed every 3 months. It's a new normal. Love you and take it a day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunt Julie! I'll be on five chemo meds and three anti nausea meds. I'll have my port through the end of 2016. My doctor said my hair would start falling out the second round which is in a few weeks. I'll get it chopped first and when hair starts falling get it buzzed. I will definitely have head options, I worry that wigs will be hot.

      Delete
  2. Mom had a port. Scary sounding but it will keep you from being a human pin cushion.

    ReplyDelete