Wednesday, November 18, 2015

I miss Rescue Randi

Since being diagnosed with BC, it has been difficult to make plans knowing I may have to break them due to how I'm feeling or medical appointments. I had planned to get back involved in rescue after I graduated with my MBA in September and joined the board of a non profit offering support to rescues and pet owners, http://www.ohioanimalcompanion.org/. The opportunity seemed like a good fit to ease back into being on a board but not too overwhelming.

I attended one board meeting, received one task, and failed at said task. Luckily, the board is extremely understanding and would like for me to join again after BC. I am appreciative of them and glad they still value my knowledge and experience but it makes me feel like a slacker not helping pets in some way.

I learned about rescue seven years ago when I saw a Craigslist ad for www.stopthesuffering.org needing a foster for a red chow. Being a chow owner and lover, Chuck and I agreed to try fostering, which led to volunteering, which led to transporting, completing home visits, crossposting and becoming a board member. A piece of my soul was finally found through rescue. Needless to say, we became foster failures and the red chow, Coco, is sleeping beside me.

Rescue is one of the most rewarding experiences and one of the most heartbreaking. I love finding the perfect home for a dog, one that truly feels like forever. However, I hate why that dog needs a forever home. Sometimes, the pets past is circumstance, they were lost, or their owner died. But, most of the time, they are abused, unloved, unwanted. The treatment of pets makes my heart cry most days, but the rescuers that step up to save them is what keeps my faith in humanity.

Once I'm back to Randi and able to wear my multiple hats, I look forward to transporting, rescuing, completing home visits, etc. For now I know I have to focus on me and help with rescue in other ways. Don't shop, adopt! Spaying and neutering saves lives! If you can't adopt, foster; if you can't volunteer, donate!

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering how long it would be before not doing rescue would start to really hurt your heart... Sadly you do not have to worry there will still be so many animals you can help when your feeling better. Also maybe we can incorporate doing some rescue stuff on your care calander. Where you can sign up for a transport and one of us can sign up with you . If your up for it girls road trip day it is if your not then we do it with out you. just a random thought from your sleep deprived friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a great idea Cat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does 24 hours of no sleep, A pit bull, and having to potty for 2 hours have in common? Road trip!! :)

    ReplyDelete