Thursday, November 5, 2015

Chemo Log 1st Treatment

My first chemo appointment is today; I have mixed emotions, fear, anxiety, happiness to really start kicking cancers ass.... My husband shared an article from a woman with stage IV about what to expect on day 1 of chemo. Overall, the day wasn't long, she made it sound pretty easy and very boring. My imagination tells me that I will be sitting in a chair with a tube attached to my port covered in a blanket watching Netflix next to Chuck.

In a few minutes, I will learn if this is true and its kind of scary. What's not scary is that I don't have bone cancer!!! The spot on my leg definitely shouldn't be there, but it isn't cancerous. My body decided that a benign bone growth needed to happen so it made it so. The sample has been sent to the Mayo Clinic for a second opinion but I'm not concerned, although my pathology was completed on the west side of Cbus, I'm sure they got it right.

I am sick of waiting, waiting, waiting... I have had to wait for results, doctors and now to get back for chemo. I've been here an hour and successfully saw my oncologist and now I'm in the waiting area for infusion. I am the youngest person here by decades which is weird because it feels as though I hear about all ages having cancer. Maybe they are all at the James like Charlene says. (If you don't know about Charlene, let me know).

I'll follow up this blog with my actual experience, for now I'll keep waiting...

I'm almost done with my first treatment. Very underwhelming. I sit in a recliner in a big room with half walls separating our little areas with Chuck sitting next to me (his chair isn't near as comfy). I have a new chemo blanket made by a prior patient with love; she makes some every few months for new chemo patients. The nurse, Denise, is very nice and focuses on cleanliness to reduce chance of infection. I arrived at noon and its going on 3, nearly done. I will definitely bring some snacks next time and maybe my heating pad. This has been a good first visit, first stop on the five to six month long chemo train...

8 comments: