Sunday, May 29, 2016

I'm lucky

I just lost both breasts, had reconstruction completed using my stomach tissue, and had three lymph nodes removed from my right side at the age of 36. I believe I'm 99% clear of cancer if I understood my breast surgeon correctly. I also believe that I have like a 2% chance of it coming back as breast cancer. I went through five months of aggressive chemo, multiple scans, biopsies and doctor appointments; all since October 2015.

I feel lucky that I have gone through all of this and whatever is in store for me in the future. I have great health insurance that has covered all of my visits, biopsies, scans, chemotherapy, mammograms (minus my first one that the hospital luckily covered, it was 3D and considered experimental by UHC). I have a wonderful employer that has allowed me to take the time off that I've needed, allowed me to work a flexible schedule, work from home when needed and given such amazing support from when I was diagnosed to now. I have an amazing husband who has been more scared than me at times but stood by my side to help me physically and emotionally.

I have amazing friends who threw a fricking benefit in my honor and started a Go Fund Me to ensure we could afford cancer. A trailer was raffled off, friends donated their bar as the location and friends and family contributed their time, money and other resources in my honor. I have a beautiful home where I am comfortable and safe and surrounded by love; furry and non furry. I have two reliable vehicles that have taken me to Riverside Hospital, Bing Cancer Center, Columbus Oncology, and a few other places safely. I've also had friends and family offer to drive me if needed, as far away as Indiana; thank you Molly.

I am relatively healthy which has helped me get through everything from chemo to surgery. I have a mostly positive attitude which has helped me smile through it all; helping myself and those supporting me. I have a kickass sense of humor allowing me to laugh when I need to, and when I don't. I can't imagine starting this journey in October 2005, I was 26 back then with only a few of the things I've listed available to younger me.

I am lucky. I imagine if some of the people in my life had to go through this journey as moms with busy schedules, little or no health insurance, little to no support, non working vehicles or no vehicle, jobs that wouldn't offer options or flexibility. How would they have faired? How much more difficult would this journey have been for them? I truly am the right person to have to undergo this journey. Do I wish I didn't have cancer; of course. Do I wish I didn't have to undergo surgery; absolutely. Do I still consider myself lucky; absofuckinglutely.

4 comments:

  1. You are lucky.. Yes.. And we are lucky too to have you! (Not just statistically, one of us would have had breast cancer, and you marked that off the list for us thank you for that) but because you are such a great person, friend, wife, fur mom, step mom, aunt, sister, and everything in Between... We all love you Randi! And if it were me or anyone other of your friends.. You would have been there for us.. Randis strong! Love you long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Vi, statistically one of us was bound to get cancer; I hope that I'm the only one. Thank you for the kind words, this journey has definitely been easier thanks to wonderful friends like you.

      Delete
  2. Not sure if my previous comment went through. I am completely tech stupid.
    But. I am out for summer. If you need me, call me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if my previous comment went through. I am completely tech stupid.
    But. I am out for summer. If you need me, call me.

    ReplyDelete