Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Bloody pockets

Today marks a week since I had the big surgery. It's been strange being relegated to our recliner but the dogs have loved having me downstairs and constantly available for pettings. My chi mix Pepper has become my chair companion which isn't like him. Normally he claims our king size bed for his own and only comes down for food and potty time.

My husband has been amazing making sure I'm eating, taking my pills and emptying my drains. He is also feeding the dogs full time and reminding me not to bend or lift my arms. I have six drains, two in my abdomen on each side, and two in each breast. Having such sweet drains attached means I have to constantly carry the drains wherever I go. The drains are bulky and fill with my blood and other bits throughout the day and I drain them twice a day. The drains are kept in pockets within my shirt that the hospital gave me, so I have bloody pockets 24 hours a day.

Showering is a possibility but I do need help from Chuck since I can't lift my arms. The drains move from pockets to a lanyard and hang around my neck. Not having hair is a plus when you can't lift your arms and unable to stand comfortably for long periods. One drain was able to be removed yesterday since it wasn't draining a lot, so I'm down to five.

The drains are irritating and I have to be careful not to pull them out. They are definitely itchy and I have to be cognizant when I'm scratching to not scratch too crazy. My abdomen and boobs are swollen and will be for awhile so I'm taking Ibuprofen in addition to my pain pills. My right arm is still a pain where the nodes were removed but on the bright side they were negative.

I have been watching Netflix, movies and catching up on my DVR. I try to walk a little each day around the house and plan to venture outside tomorrow. I can't be too strenuous to make sure I don't hurt my stitches, drains or cause too much drainage. I feel bad having Chuck take care of me. Normally we are a team, he cooks, I clean, he does laundry, I fold and put the clothes away. I really appreciate him and hope he knows.

Today is our 8 year wedding anniversary and normally I would have gotten him a card and we'd go to dinner. Today, I spent the day in my chair and Chuck cooked a delicious dinner, it was a very nice day. I truly am lucky to have him in my life, he understands my current limitations and doesn't make me feel bad that I can't help around the house. Hopefully once my drains are out I'll feel better and will be able to help around the house and maybe move from the recliner to my bed!

3 comments: