Saturday, May 21, 2016

Boobs, belly button and burning

Well, surgery has been completed and I'm on the road to recovery. My bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction was Tuesday, May 17th, and I was able to be discharged Friday. I loved the staff at Dublin Methodist, they were all great and extremely supportive. I saw all of my surgeons, and they were each positive about the surgery as a whole and pleased with my incisions and how the surgery sites look. I kept a smile on my face during my stay and the staff appreciated having a positive patient with a good outlook.

The surgery required incisions in both breasts to remove current tissue through my nipples which means I have big skin grafts where nipples would normally be. The tissue was replaced with tissue from my stomach leaving a long incision straight across my stomach with drain tubes on each side. Each breast has two drain tubes and the spots where the drains originate burn something awful.

On Tuesday my breast cancer surgeon and one of my plastic surgeons both wrote on my boobs in black marker. The breast surgeon literally put his initials on me, HA! The way the plastic surgeon marked made me think he would be scooping out my breast from the bottom, not through the nipple openings but I guess it makes more sense to ensure all of the tissue was removed and as much skin was left to make new boobs.

I have no idea what size breasts I have now, they are definitely smaller but also swollen and I'm thinking it will be a few weeks until I know. My husband has also commented that they are smaller, maybe a C cup? Since I've never had different boobs, it's weird having new ones that aren't really new, they are just made from a different part of me.

The incision sites BURN, it's like they are on fire and when I have to drain them the pulling on the tubes is a really strong burning sensation. This pain has been the worst and my major complaint, the nurses and doctors have indicated that my experience is in line with other patients. All types of stuff is draining out, blood, stringy stuff, fat, tissue... as I continue to drain, the color will change from red to a straw yellow color. What is going to drain that's yellow?!

My best friend and her husband brought me an awesome book, T Rex Trying, showing all of the things that T Rex tries to do. I took the book to the hospital and had visitors and staff sign. I'm kind of like a T Rex, walking hunched over with my arms at my sides unable to do a lot currently. My stuffed T Rex Mortimer, Morty for short, also accompanied me and was a welcome addition when I woke up in pain wanting a hug.

A new belly button was made since tissue was cut away, it's currently scabbed and I'm interested to see what it will look like once healed. The long incision is at the base of my stomach and I have to watch hiking my underwear or pants too high. I accidentally tucked one of my drain tubes in my underwear and it opened and spilled on me. Walking around with six drain tubes takes a little bit of care, luckily the hospital gave me a sweet blue soft button up that has pockets for my drains. I'll lose half of them this coming Friday and the rest the following week depending on how much continues to drain.

I'll be sponge bathing for a couple of weeks as I navigate the drains and my ability to stand for long periods. I have been incredibly itchy, from my incision sites to my back to my legs. It's partly from pain pills, partly from not being able to fully shower and partly from a lot of sitting and laying. Since I'm home, my dogs are very confused why I'm not going to bed or feeding them. Gracie Mae, beagle mix, and Pepper, chihuahua mix, both laid on my legs last night as I slept in our recliner.

I've completed my first 24 hours at home and so far so good. I'm surrounded with pillows and Chuck is fabulous as my helper. He's making sure I eat and distributing my pills. I'm very lucky to have him and couldn't ask for a better husband who is able and willing to help me get up and down, drain my tubes, comfort the dogs when they can't sit with me and all of the other tasks that comes with caring for post cancer Randi.

5 comments:

  1. I love reading your stories and I can completely hear you saying each and every word which makes it even better. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading your posts also.. Sometimes hard to read but I can stop. You are inspiring ... Love you....

    ReplyDelete