Thursday, December 10, 2015

Randi's chemo side effects

Chemotherapy is a necessary evil for those facing cancer, myself included. The treatments are rough on the body and cause varying side effects. Some are tolerable, some are less tolerable and some are plain gross.

Hairloss is one of the common side effects for breast cancer patients. This is frustrating, a little embarrassing, for some demeaning but a tolerable side effect. I have chosen to rock my bald head opposed to wearing a wig or scarf. I am very lucky that my head has a nice round shape, no divets, craters or lumps and brings out my blue eyes. I have some hats if needed to keep my noggin warm here in Ohio but mostly carry a hat in my purse instead of on my head. Yes, it immediately appears that I have cancer, or a wicked fashion sense, but I feel that wearing a scarf or wig would show the same thing.

Hairloss goes beyond my head, I don't have to shave my armpits anymore! I am pretty happy about this because I suck at shaving, I constantly cut myself or in some way cause bleeding. My leg hair isn't completely gone, but close enough so I don't have to shave. Now for the personal hairloss, my girly hair is pretty much gone. It's weird, that hair helps direct pee! I never thought about it until my coworker mentioned that one of her friends learned real quick how helpful that hair is in directing the flow.

Nausea is another common side effect, I've been very lucky and only had a few minor moments when I had to take some meds. Overall, I'm relieved that this side effect hasn't reared its ugly head, yet. I start new chemo drugs in a few weeks and new side effects may emerge.

Now, the gross... I have internal hemorrhoids that I learned of through my multiple colonscopies. They don't bother me, I didn't feel they were there until I started chemo. I now have butt periods, I don't know what else to call them. It sucks! I talked to my oncologist, and chemo flares my internal hemorrhoids so I get to bleed every time I potty. I felt like this was a side effect not discussed, if others have this issue, now you know.

Tired.... So tired. This is my main side effect. I was tired all of the time prior to chemo, but now I constantly feel drained. I receive a white blood cell injection the day after chemo and it wipes me out. I sleep the entire weekend after chemo and feel like I have the flu for a few days. This is what prevents me from making, and potentially breaking plans.

There it is, a quick and dirty overview of side effects from the current chemo. Overall, not that bad but still falls under #cancersucks.....

5 comments:

  1. You so need to copyright the phrase butt period!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randi,
    I want to offer some ecouragement for you in your fight with this disease. I was diagnosed with both bladder and prostate cancer (both highly aggressive) back in February - May of 2013. I endured 4 months of chemo before my surgery and did well until the 1 year follow up in November of 14 when a small spot was found on my lymphnode. Subsequently, I went through 35 radiation treatments and another round of chemo. As of now I am cancer free. Still have my port and will keep it until the requisite 5 years expire.

    Through all of this my Lord Jesus Christ was by my side and never left me for a second. I never worried that I might not make it because I had my ticket punched to a place where cancer cannot exist! Keep your eyes firmly locked onto Him and He will see you through this fire. He provided for me in the handling of the treatment, the management of the costs associated with it and the spiritual strength I needed to get through it. Without Him and the support of my family, friends and physicians I don't know where I would be today.

    I am praying for you and wish you nothing but the best in your fight! Hang tough my friend! There is light at the end of the tunnel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much Barry!! I'm glad you are cancer free and hope you remain that way!

    ReplyDelete