Sunday, June 3, 2018

2 years...damn

I celebrated 2 years cancer free May 17, 2018!!! Can y'all fucking believe that?!!! I had new and old friends come celebrate with me, it was a joyous day and I felt on top of the world. Two years ago, I made it through my 13 hour surgery to be recliner ridden and in the most severe pain of my life. This year, there was no pain, but there were tears. I don't know any survivors of serious ailments who aren't taken aback that they were spared by this world. I don't know anyone who doesn't tear up when they start down the path of what if..... What if I never asked for my mammogram.... What if insurance hadn't of covered it.... What if I'd only gotten a regular mammogram and not a 3D mammogram.... What if I hadn't of had a supportive work place... What if I hadn't of had such an amazing support system.... What if.... What if.... What if
The important thing is, those what if's are in the past. I am lucky, grateful, and truly heartfelt at the support and love I've received. The world would be a different place without me in it, 😉.
I am grateful to my ex husband, best friends, acquaintances, family, and everyone in between and around the edges for being part of my village. Although May 17th is a milestone for me, it's still a regular day for most of the world. There aren't monuments dedicated to me; there aren't millions of people celebrating my life and victory over cancer; there wasn't a reporter on hand to document post cancer Randi. However.... There are people who have been affected by my diagnosis and recovery.... There are people who celebrate my life as I celebrate theirs.... I have been on TV twice talking about being diagnosed under 40.
Although this date will be special to me until the end of my time; what's been more special are the people that understand and appreciate the significance of the date. I've posted about the importance and memory of three dates associated with my breast cancer, I doubt there will ever be a year where they don't invoke strong emotions. As the survival years pass 2, 3, 10, etc., I am grateful to the people who have hopped on and off this train through its multiple stops. I'm still here bitches, where's our next stop?

No comments:

Post a Comment