Monday, January 1, 2018

Austin city limits

I have really struggled with a plan on what to do since I left my job and started my hiatus.  I have talked about moving, selling my house, and starting over. I have nothing holding me in Columbus; the housing market is strong so selling my house should be easy, I don't have kids, I'm not married, I don't have a job to leave. I've talked about leaving Ohio since I arrived, I never in my wildest dreams imagined I'd be in this state for nearly two decades.  I have been extremely lucky to have had great jobs, met my best friends, been married, been a stepmother, become a home owner, and get involved in dog and cat rescue. I have had ups and downs, sideways adventures, heartbreak, heart revival, learned that I really can do anything from surviving cancer to earning a Master's degree. I am at a point where I need a change, I want to do something different, go somewhere new.

I've decided to leave Ohio and move to Austin, Texas.  I've missed my home state since I left at the age of 20, and although a good portion of the state is conservative and old white men rule, Austin has stayed weird and I love it.  I always have a great time when I visit, and I've said if I returned to Texas, it would be to Austin. I plan to apply to law school at UT, I could finally become a real longhorn!  Obviously there is a lot of planning to do, like find a job, a place to live, sell my house, tell my hot flashes to calm it down. I'm excited, scared, and ready for this next chapter.  Although I will miss everyone in Ohio, I'm a plane ride away, and it's going to be a couple of months before I roll out.  I'm going to start studying for the LSAT, I have study materials ordered and being shipped from Amazon.  I've always thought I wanted to be a veterinarian when I grow up, but really, I just want to help animals, and people in need. I feel being a lawyer will open up so many opportunities for me to make a difference in the areas I care about.  Mind you, being accepted to law school is hard..... being accepted to UT Austin is harder. I may move down there and never be accepted, but I know that moving from Ohio is definitely my next chapter.

I am flying to Austin at the end of the month, there's a law day at the university I would like to attend, and I want to wander around the city a little. I'll be staying at a hostel, this time I booked a co-ed room which will be interesting.  I am so excited to start this new adventure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment